Friday 30 May 2014

Notes on domestic bliss

Apparently The Husband loves granola. I'm not sure where this love affair started but he was going through it at such a rate that I feared for our solvency. As we had been talking about cleaning out the kitchen cupboards for about six months it seemed like a good time to attempt making granola with what we had at hand. 


After a mooch through my cook books, a quick Google and a stock take of the aforementioned kitchen cupboards I was ready to go. I came up with the following formula and it worked a treat. It leaves room for variation dependent on what you have available and of course your personal preference. Apart form a near miss with an open pack of ground turmeric it was really easy to do and once packaged up in a Kilner jar I was left feeling like a premier league domestic goddess. The Husband was impressed.



This is my basic formula which can be customised as you choose:
3 cups of grains
2 cups mixed nuts, seeds, coconut
1/2 cup dried fruit
1/2 cup sweet stuff (honey, agave nectar, maple syrup)
1/2 cup oil (coconut oil, vegetable oil, olive oil)
1 tsp salt
spices 

Aoife's granola

2 cups porridge oats
1/2 cup rye flakes
1/2 cup barley flakes 
11/2 cups mixture of pecans, whole almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
~1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp salt

1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup sunflower oil

1/2 cup raisins

Preheat the oven to 170C. Mix all the dry ingredients (apart from the dried fruit) together in a big bowl. Mix together agave nectar and sunflower oil in a separate bowl and add to the rest of the ingredients. Mix well (I used my hands) to ensure all the ingredients are well coated. Spread mixture on to a baking tray (I used my grill pan lined with parchment paper) and bake for approximately 30 minutes, stirring and turning regularly, until golden brown. Allow to cool and add the raisins. Store in an airtight container and enjoy.




The Husband likes a big mound of granola with a little yoghurt. I'm more partial to yoghurt topped with granola, fruit and a little blackcurrant syrup. Either way breakfasting on homemade granola is an easy way to propagate domestic bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment